Admissions Counselor Cover Letter and Resume Examples
Here's an example of a cover letter for an admissions counselor position. Also, see below for a resume for the same position.
Admissions Counselor Cover Letter Example
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. LastName,
I would like to express my strong interest in the admissions counselor position at ABC University’s School of Business, as listed on highereducationjobs.com. I am confident that my experience as an admissions counselor and my abilities as a project manager make me an ideal candidate for the position.
I have been working in admissions for the past five years and am therefore extremely confident in my ability to meet your requirements. As an admissions counselor for XYZ College, I recruit, process, and evaluate over 8,500 applicants each year. By thoroughly analyzing candidates and conducting dozens of informational sessions and seminars, I successfully contributed to the rise in student retention by over 15% this past year. I am also particularly familiar with MBA admissions and recruiting, having worked as a graduate assistant in the Greenfield University Business School. I am thus a skilled admissions counselor who is familiar with your particular needs.
I also have the project management experience that you request in your job application. For example, I am currently responsible for organizing and overseeing XYZ College’s annual Welcome Accepted Candidates Day. This job involves selecting and managing caterers, event spaces, professors, and student volunteers.
I have successfully run this event for the past two years, and therefore know I have the attention to detail and commitment to quality that you require in an admissions counselor.
I am confident that my years of experience in admissions (particularly business school admissions) and my skill as a project manager would make me an asset to your fine admissions team at ABC University’s School of Business.
I have enclosed my resume and will contact you next week to see if we might find a time to speak together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Your Signature (hard copy letter)
Your Typed Name
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Admissions Counselor Resume Example
4179 Allen Rd, Apt 7, Wilmington, DE 01887
Detail-oriented Admissions Counselor with a record of success in recruiting, evaluating, and accepting applicants for a competitive liberal arts college with over 8,500 applicants. Experienced in using strong oral and written communication skills to develop and lead presentations, information sessions, and training seminars.
Admissions Counselor, ABC College, May 20XX - present
- Recognized along with admissions team for increasing retention rates among freshman by 10% in 2008 due to thorough analysis of applicant materials and follow-up with accepted candidates.
- Develop and present seminars about ABC College at over 50 high school and community college events.
- Conduct dozens of informational sessions with parents, students, and counselors on the admissions process.
- Plan and implement training programs for internal and external staff members related to Admissions initiatives.
Registrar Assistant, ABC College, August 20XX – May 20XX
- Maintain student academic records for over 4,000 students.
- Manage all OCICU registration and correspondence.
- Resolve student and faculty issues regarding records and registration.
- Recruit, hire, and train 10 college interns annually.
Bachelor of Arts, Spanish, ABC College, 20XX
Magna Cum Laude
- Experience with SIS and Campus Vue, and proficient in Microsoft Office, (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Fluent in Spanish
Sending an Email Cover Letter
If you're sending your cover letter via email, list your name and the job title in the subject line of the email message:
Subject: Admissions Counselor Position - Your Name
Include your contact information in your email signature, and don't list the employer contact information.
Start your email message with the salutation. Here's an example of a formatted email cover letter.
More Sample Cover Letters
Cover letter samples and templates for a variety of career fields and employment levels, including entry-level, targeted and email cover letters for many different jobs.
Please Note: This sample is provided for guidance only. The provided information, including samples and examples, is not guaranteed for accuracy or legality. Letters and other correspondence should be edited to fit your personal situation.
When you are applying for college admission, it's important to do everything possible to make sure your application really stands out. Sending a cover letter in support of your application materials can be a great way to capture admissions officers' attention in a positive way while also giving them a chance to learn a little bit about your personality and unique circumstances.
Example Cover Letters for College Applications
You can use a cover letter whether you are applying via the common application or if you are submitting an individual admission packet.
- If you are using the common application, send the cover letter at the same time that you complete the application or a few days before.
- If you are submitting a school-specific applicant packet, include the letter with all of your other materials.
Choose the sample letter below that best fits your needs and adjust it to convey key highlights of why you should be considered for admission. To access each letter, simply click the image. It will open as an editable PDF file that you can customize, save and print. This guide for Adobe printables can be of assistance if you need help accessing the documents.
Writing Your College Application Cover Letter
While the samples here are great starting points, you will need to adjust them to focus on your specific situation. You will need to include:
- Why you want to attend this particular school
- What your academic interests are
- How the school is a good fit for your academic interests and long-term goals
- How your background and future interests make you a great candidate to consider
- Any special connections you have to the school (i.e., do you have relatives who graduated from the school?)
- Details on how the other components of your application packet will be received
- A specific request to consider you for admission
- Details on how to contact you
Stand Out to College Admission Officers
A well-written cover letter can be a terrific add-on to your college application package. Not everyone will think to send this kind of document, so it just might help you stand out among the other applicants. Of course, a poorly-written letter can have the opposite effect. So, be sure that your letter follows an appropriate business letter format, really presents you in a positive light, is well-written and error-free.