Myunisa Assignments 2013

Welcome!Log InCreate A New Profile

assignment and portfolio

Posted by Mac 

ForumsMessagesNew

Remember:

- we mark your working web site page/s. The code you submit is to check what you have done, or not done. We cannot award you a mark on your code alone, so no working web site page/s, no marks.
- you need to keep your site alive until your receive your mark.
- name your submission correctly.
- read the submission document available on myUnisa under the resources folder.
- do not submit to myUnisa, unless specifically stated. In particular, myUnisa cannot accept zipped files.
- no exam

ReplyQuote

Hi Mac

Can we include the PHP coding of Assignment 1 inside an HTML page or does the enitre page need to be PHP?

Kind regards,

ReplyQuote

I assume marks will be shown next to assignment under the myunisa page?

ReplyQuote

Hi slightly off topic but looks like you guys can give me the best advice.

I want to start my assignment asap however I live in Thailand and it is near impossible for me to find the prescribed book PHP: The complete reference by MC Graw-Hill publishers. So what I did was I ordered it through Kalahari.com but its gonna take a month to reach me!

Can anyone advice me on an alternative book that I can use to learn the basic skills I will need to do assignment 1?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

ReplyQuote

Have a look at -

www.it-ebooks.info

There are many good free books, including for PHP

Beginning PHP 5.3
Beginning PHP and mySQL

(Or just Google "PHP pdf" or similar)


There are also many good PHP tutorials on the internet -

www.w3schools.com
www.tizag.com

(Or Google "PHP tutorial" or similar)

ReplyQuote

timothycoetzee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi slightly off topic but looks like you guys can
> give me the best advice.
>
> I want to start my assignment asap however I live
> in Thailand and it is near impossible for me to
> find the prescribed book PHP: The complete
> reference by MC Graw-Hill publishers
. So
> what I did was I ordered it through Kalahari.com
> but its gonna take a month to reach me!
>
> Can anyone advice me on an alternative book
> that I can use to learn the basic skills I will
> need to do assignment 1?
>
> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Google and the homeandlearn resource you can download from the module's MyUnisa page should be enough to get you through assignment 1 quite easily.

ReplyQuote

Thanks for help. I downloaded PHP: A beginners guidealso from mcgraw hill publishers from the piratebay.

ReplyQuote

Quick question when submitting assignment and portfolio am I allow to use a program such as Adobe Dreamweaver when developing??
I know when I did Javascript last year we were not allowed to use any sort of program except notepad which I found ridiculous.
Thanks in advance

ReplyQuote

You can use it as an editor, but not any of its advanced functions that create, for example, a table listing just by point and click, i.e. it creates the complete code for you. Nor are you allowed to use frameworks. At some point, you need to get your hands dirty and this course is not about "Visual PHP". It is easy to pick up when such apps are used to create code - very advanced Ajax coding is more often than not included. My grandmother can point and click!

ReplyQuote

I'd like to ask something off topic please.

I just finished my registration on Osprey.
My question is, If I just used my student number as the username. Would I be in trouble?

ReplyQuote

No, you can use what you want - however, you should have posted a new topic in asking this question, as per the tut letter

ReplyQuote

HI, I would like to install PHP software in my computer but I'm not sure if it is included in the CD I have received with my study material.
Can anyone please help me.

ReplyQuote

hello guys my name is Ngonie,living in Mthatha and this is my first time to do this module.l hope l wil get the maximun help that is necessary to pass this module

ReplyQuote

41110641 - Nathaniel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HI, I would like to install PHP software in my
> computer but I'm not sure if it is included in the
> CD I have received with my study material.
> Can anyone please help me.

Yes it is.

ReplyQuote

Ok great so Ive done most of the assignment , having a bit of an issue with the javascript window , but that's not why I'm posting....

Once we have completed Assignment 1 and loaded it onto the freehosting website , then what do we do , who do we send the link to ?

Or where do we post the link for our assignment so that i ensure it gets marked ?

ReplyQuote

man I can breathe now! i am through with ass1 hopefully i will submit it tomorrow but it was a really close one. I was nearly overwhelmed by all the assignments due date for i registered late. but frankly i am "loving" this module. I intend on working earnestly to get it right. i am sure that the result we'll get from ass1 will motivate us to work even harder.

ReplyQuote

I'm doing supplementary, and i don't know if i should re-submit my assignment or not, because myunisa doesn't give me that option.
And i've made changes to the url.....Help pls

ReplyQuote

mac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember:
>
> - we mark your working web site page/s. The code
> you submit is to check what you have done, or not
> done. We cannot award you a mark on your code
> alone, so no working web site page/s, no marks.
> - you need to keep your site alive until your
> receive your mark.
> - name your submission correctly.
> - read the submission document available on
> myUnisa under the resources folder.
> - do not submit to myUnisa, unless specifically
> stated. In particular, myUnisa cannot accept
> zipped files.
> - no exam


Hi Mac

I just did a mistake on the naming of the file
I used ICT2612_Assignment_Sem2_2013_ BasileHJ _1234567.txt instead of using ICT2613_Assignment_Sem2_2013_ BasileHJ _1234567.txt (Obviously i used my details)
I then renamed the notepad file to the right Subject code and submitted again.
what does this mean for me? Should i be worried because now i have submitted 2 files with different file names.

regards

ReplyQuote

46313060-Bill - you submit as you did last semester - read your submission document that shows how name a supp.

48547158-Nyaki - No, that is fine

ReplyQuote

i know about the naming convention, i'm talking about the

Quote
assignment

because i've made changes to the url
from my last semester assignment.
what i'm worried about is will you be able to find my site!!!!

ReplyQuote

i re-submited my last semester assignment with the new url, hope it's not a problem!!!

ReplyQuote

I have hosted my assignment 1 on a 6te.net server so my question
is it advisable to host my webpages at any server other than freeoda.com as
stated in the tutorial letter 101.

ReplyQuote

49491857_Ashlliegh Murova Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have hosted my assignment 1 on a 6te.net server
> so my question
> is it advisable to host my webpages at any server
> other than freeoda.com as
> stated in the tutorial letter 101.


You can host anywhere as long as the hosting site supports PHP

ReplyQuote

Hi mac
From the tut letter the index page must contain two links: login & fixtures.

This page looks like it contain only HTML code no php code or am I wrong?

Can i add a picture or a logo to spice up my page to look attractive?

ReplyQuote

You can use HTML or echo the links. You can spice up yes.

ReplyQuote

Thanks Mac I decided to echo the links.

I used the include function on top of my index page for (connect.php).

So as i specified in the connect.php that when connected must echo "Database Found".

It displays Database Found on top of the index page as well.

Is it okay or should I change in the connect.php that it echo blank string?

ReplyQuote

In general terms, because we are reliant on a db connection which we do not necessarily have control over, you should present the user with an apology. That said, it still stinks

ReplyQuote

Hi Mac,

I would like to find out if you are maybe able to compile a tutorial with print screens with an example of how our sites should look

I think it would be beneficial to all of the students

ReplyQuote

It is described in the tut letter - just not visually. What is not described is part of the challenge. Any other way I could just have had provided a MCQ...

ReplyQuote

With regards to the Portfolio and mySql :

Can we use the mySql in PHP admin of xammp to build our database and tables for the sports application, or is is better to use the mySql thru command prompt as stated in the text book ?
how do we then export the database to the free hosting website , or do we rebuild the database on the sites administration section ?

ReplyQuote

hi mac

i have a supp but my site has been closed, how am i going to submit my portfolio since it has been closed? should i create a new webhosting site?

ReplyQuote

When you say the application must be coded intirely with PHP only,does that html is not allowd,meaning we have to echo each and and every tag with php instead of typing all htmll tags normaly

ReplyQuote

I can not seem to be winning with the portfolio, the problem is that the database i created with phpmyadmin does not link with the database i created with the code

ReplyQuote

47766247 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can not seem to be winning with the portfolio,
> the problem is that the database i created with
> phpmyadmin does not link with the database i
> created with the code


Doesn't really make sense. Have you created 2 databases ? How / why are you trying to link them ?

or, do you mean you have created a database with phpMyAdmin and cannot connect to it with your code.
If so, there is an error with your connect.php script.

ReplyQuote

I submitted my assignment 1 without using freewebhosting area because of the complications i faced and my address is www.thabane.tk, i have not received results yet i do not know what happened. My assignment appears on my Unisa when i click view under assignments but no marks

ReplyQuote

The submission document clearly states that you do not submit through myUnisa

ReplyQuote

Dear Mac, Tshepo_sibiya,

The question about coding everything in php I dont understand it. Tshepo asked this as well. So do we need to echo every html in our php pages.

for example i need to draw up a table header is there any reason to echo it as well.

Maybe it makes sense that unisa want to test our abilities and encourages in using php variables and functions and other its functions.

All the best on portfolio fellow students.

ReplyQuote

I did not submit through my unisa but osprey

ReplyQuote

nyokahombe [ PM ]
Re: assignment and portfolio new
three days ago
Registered: 2 months ago
Posts: 12


Dear Mac, Tshepo_sibiya,

The question about coding everything in php I dont understand it. Tshepo asked this as well. So do we need to echo every html in our php pages.

for example i need to draw up a table header is there any reason to echo it as well.

Maybe it makes sense that unisa want to test our abilities and encourages in using php variables and functions and other its functions.

All the best on portfolio fellow students.



Its not a must to echo ur html codes but make sure that all your functions, mysql clauses etc are enclosed in php.

ReplyQuote

Welcome!Log InCreate A New Profile

Assignment and portfolio

Posted by Mac 

ForumsMessagesNew

Newer TopicOlder Topic

Print ViewRSS

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Remember:

- we mark your working web site page/s. The code you submit is to check what you have done, or not done. We cannot award you a mark on your code alone, so no working web site page/s, no marks. Where applicable (e.g. in the portfolio) we at times award marks for improved code, but such code must work.
- you need to keep your site alive until your receive your mark.
- name your submission correctly.
- read the submission document available on myUnisa under the resources folder.
- do not submit to myUnisa, unless specifically stated. In particular, myUnisa cannot accept zipped files.

The forum is for support before you submit your assignment/portfolio. The portfolio is an exam, so no feedback is provided. In other words, use the forum to get stuff working before you submit.

ReplyQuote

Good day Prof Mac

When will Tut 102 be available on Myunisa, so that we can continue with the portfolio?

ReplyQuote

Pleasure, and well done!

I am not too familiar with REST, but I would suggest you first Google for "JSON, REST, SOAP, WSDL, and SOA". REST is simpler from what I know, but therein lies a danger i.t.o. security.

Also read this: http://www.servicestack.net/mythz_blog/?p=154

ReplyQuote

Thanks alot Prof Mac for your help that really helped

matsoso K

ReplyQuote

I am looking forward to submit my portfolio.

ReplyQuote

Hi

I want to ask about the text files that we need open in a popup page.

The TUT Instruction say that the text file must contain the commented out version of the related php file.
E.g Array.txt is the commented out version of Array.php.

The question is want commenting style should we use.
I tried //, # and HTML comments

Nothing works correctly

ReplyQuote

Try using -

Language: PHP

/* This is the comment style to use for a multiple line comment */

ReplyQuote

@41866037Malee

Use the following tags to add comments in html pages.

<!--This is a comment. Comments are not displayed in the browser-->

ReplyQuote

Hi Prof Mac,

In the Assignment and Portfolio submission procedure you state that for the assignment we must put our URL and "assignment code" in a text document. I would just like to know what is meant by assignment code? Do you mean the unique number for the assignment, or is it the PHP/HTML code for the programs we have written for the assignment?

Many thanks

ReplyQuote

Ok this might be a dumb question...
Firstly is the portfolio only consist of the folowing pages:
Calc, String, Array and Function? seems short?
Not sure if it is suposed to be all pages in tutorial 101 or only pages with assignment heading (latter obv makes more sense)

also...
Is it ok if I upload my Portfolio as well... (its not 100% complete, more like 95%, but will obviously have time between recieving a mark for assignment and Portfolio submition date to fix relevant pages)
Only reason I ask is my index page has an Assignment and Portfolio split so everything is available in one place.

Thank you.

ReplyQuote

36821314 - Craig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Prof Mac,
>
> In the Assignment and Portfolio submission
> procedure you state that for the assignment we
> must put our URL and "assignment code" in a text
> document. I would just like to know what is meant
> by assignment code? Do you mean the unique number
> for the assignment, or is it the PHP/HTML code for
> the programs we have written for the assignment?
>
> Many thanks

The PHP code

ReplyQuote

42609852 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok this might be a dumb question...
> Firstly is the portfolio only consist of the
> folowing pages:
> Calc, String, Array and Function? seems short?
> Not sure if it is suposed to be all pages in
> tutorial 101 or only pages with assignment heading
> (latter obv makes more sense)
>
> also...
> Is it ok if I upload my Portfolio as well... (its
> not 100% complete, more like 95%, but will
> obviously have time between recieving a mark for
> assignment and Portfolio submition date to fix
> relevant pages)
> Only reason I ask is my index page has an
> Assignment and Portfolio split so everything is
> available in one place.
>
> Thank you.

Just the assignment code (the headings yes) for now please. No problem if the index page has a link to the porftolio

ReplyQuote

HI Mac,

I know the tutorial and submission documents state it but....just a confirmation
No upload to myUnisa is required.....which means no confirmation that you have submitted an assigment or qualify for the final portfolio/exam like other subjects?

Thanx...Apologies for the procrastination.

ReplyQuote

Assignment in...
good luck to everyone out there...

Mac...
I loaded something in the social cafe and thought maybe you could add to anouncements?

http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?668,181433

there is a PHP conference in SA, (This is for CT one, maybe there is other student that might be interested?)

ReplyQuote

35656735 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HI Mac,
>
> I know the tutorial and submission documents state
> it but....just a confirmation
> No upload to myUnisa is required.....which means
> no confirmation that you have submitted an
> assigment or qualify for the final portfolio/exam
> like other subjects?
>
> Thanx...Apologies for the procrastination.

No upload - a portfolio works differently for access to exam.

ReplyQuote

can you please give more explanation about: "All your code for a specific task should be on a single page. That is, you do not pass data from one page to another page. Use if/else statements to control the flow of your code." do you mean coding on every thing on one page?

ReplyQuote

This is similar to what was done last year. Pages names are provided per question - everything on that page, expect where directed otherwise.

ReplyQuote

Hi Mac

When can we expect marks for assigment 1?

ReplyQuote

We have PLENTY to mark... and it is marked twice. Give us a gap

ReplyQuote

Thanks you for your response. Much appreciated. I was just a bit worried.

ReplyQuote

The date for the marks to be in is only in around 10 Sept, but we try and get it done before then. Hopefully before end of the month!

ReplyQuote

Mac regarding the marks being in on 10 Sept... I think/guess you mean 10 Oct?
also you other post says 10 August (might cause confusion )

ReplyQuote

Yes, a typo sorry! I don't know in which month I am...

ReplyQuote

Hahaha...
yeah kinda feel same at moment 3612 is my only subject thats up to date,
feel like chicken without a head at moment

ReplyQuote

Hi Prof

I trust you well.
I have uploaded assignment on osprey as requested ahead of the due date but when receiving my exam roster from Unisa it states I do not qualify for writing the exams in this module.
I am very worried since this will mean an extra 6 months in obtaining my Diploma.
Could you kindly investigate my issue and revert back to me. I also have not receive my marks for assignment 1 as yet, has it been released?.

My student number is 36033898 and my contact details are on my signature below.

Ronny Kaptein
083 236 0496

ReplyQuote

Guys.... please make an effort to read your tut letter and a sticky post on this forum that answer this exact query..

ReplyQuote

Categories: 1

0 Replies to “Myunisa Assignments 2013”

Leave a comment

L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *