Enter the MLK Advancing The Dream Essay Writing Competition
You could win $500, $750 or $1,000!
The 2018 MLK Essay Contest is open to high school seniors attending Arlington schools or residing within the Arlington city limits. Scholarships to help defray the cost of college tuition and books will be awarded to the winning first, second and third place essay writers.First Place – $1,000 Scholarship
Second Place – $750 Scholarship
Third Place – $500 Scholarship
“Continuing The Dream: Moving Toward Unity, Justice and Peace”
How To Enter
SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS 5 PM FRIDAY, NOV. 17, 2017
Please mail all entries to:
Arlington MLK Committee
P.O. Box 1921
Arlington, TX 76004-1921
- Must be a High School Senior enrolled in an Arlington school or residing within the city limits of Arlington. This includes private and charter schools in Arlington.
- One essay per student. Essays must be original, typed, double-spaced, and must not exceed 1,500 words.
- Cover sheet must contain student’s name, school, home phone number, address and email address. None of this information should be included in the body of the essay.
- E-mail essay as a Microsoft Word document attachment to Cheryel.Carpenter@Arlingtontx.gov
- Essays will be judged on the basis of organization, content, voice, creativity, grammatical structure and overall conformity to the celebration theme.
Entries will be judged in December 2017. Winners will be formally recognized at the Arlington Martin Luther King Jr. Advancing the Dream Awards Banquet on Friday, Jan. 12, 2018 and throughout
the four-day celebration weekend.
MCCRACKEN COUNTY, KY — The winners of Paducah-McCracken Co. NAACP Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. essay contest have been announced.
Students from McCracken County, Paducah City, and St. Mary’s school districts were asked to write essays reflecting on the life and work of Dr. King and addressing the issues of today.
The winners for each grade group are below. You can also read the first place essays of the middle school and high school winners at the bottom of this article.
Elementary School- Grades Kindergarten- 3rd
- 1st Place- Collins Martin- St. Mary Elem. School
- 2nd Place- Bryleigh Hayden- St. Mary Elm School
- 3rd Place- Braxton Patton- McNabb Elementary School
- *Honorable Mention- Brayden Hatton- McNabb Elem
- Rosie Deaton- Heath Elementary
Elementary School- Grades 4th-6th
- 1st Place- Byron Caldwell- McNabb Elem
- 2nd Place- Matthew King- St. Mary Elem
- 3rd Place- Shania Robinson- McNabb Elem
- *Honorable Mention- Harper Orr-Concord Elem
Middle School- Grades 7-8th
- 1st Place- Jaaziah Patrick- Paducah Middle School
- 2nd Place- Meghan Gruber- Paducah Middle School
- 3rd Place- Noland Durham
- *Honorable Mention- Ava Kelly- Heath Middle School
High School Grades 9-12
- 1st Place- Shoavion Davis- Paducah Tilghman High School
- 2nd Place- Keyshun Curry- Paducah Tilghman
- 3rd Place- Kate Criner- Paducah Tilghman